Monday, June 11, 2012

Misc. Monday - Strawberry Vinaigrette

I know, another strawberry recipe but strawberry season is almost done here in Illinois and I need to get my fill in. I love vinegar based salad dressings, so I set out to make my own. This way I could control what goes in but more important what I don't want in my dressing. This recipe is based off of this one by Taste of Home.
Strawberry vinaigrette
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
4 cups white wine vinegar (I used regular vinegar because it was what I had)
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1 1/3 cup sugar
Directions
Puree strawberries and combine with vinegar and lemon peel. Crush the basil till you can smell it. You can use a mortar, wood spoon or an empty spice bottle to crush the basil. Stir the basil into the strawberry mixture.
Place in covered jars and store in a cool dark place for three days. You need to stir the mix once each day during the three days.
On the third day strain the strawberry vinegar through cheese cloth, I squished lightly even though it tells you not to. You no longer need the strawberry and basil solids, so you can throw them away.
Bring the strawberry vinegar to 180 degrees over medium heat. This is where I added in the sugar and stirred to dissolve the sugar. The amount of sugar will depend on how tart or sweet you like your dressing.
I then filled my jars and processed them in boiling water for 10 minutes. (Well, mine was a bit more as we are potty training and I forgot they were on the stove.)
I have so many ideas of where I can use my new strawberry vinaigrette. What would you try it on?

No comments:

Post a Comment