Friday, July 27, 2012

Fast Friday - Cantaloupe Jam

I can. There is no question about it but I have a new book in my collection which is food in jars by Marisa McClellan. What I love about her book is that it is small batches. Which is perfect for those who are starting out canning. The recipes can easily be done in a larger amount, which is what I did when I canned all the peaches. I used her peach jam recipe and it was my new favorite way to eat peaches. I had so many different ideas of where to start when I looked at the book because it is written to be used year round. With canning our own dog food we can year round but now I have easy ideas that I can make whenever I want.
The cantaloupe jam that I am writing about I made the other night and I knew it was one I would be repeating. I agree with Marisa that it does almost taste like a Creamsicle and it is something I will be making again and again this summer. I love this book so much that I am going to give a copy away to one lucky reader! The details are below but first the recipe.

Cantaloupe Jam
What you need:
2 1/2 cups chopped peeled cantaloupe
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Tabelspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 3oz pack of liquid pectin

Directions:
Combine cantaloupe, sugar and vanilla bean in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes over high heat. Add the lemon zest, juice and pectin and return to a vigorous boil. Boil for another 3 to 4 minutes until the bubbles look thick. Remove the vanilla bean or you will be filling jars and come across it! Ladle into 3 half pint jars, wipe the top clean and apply lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Before you soak the pot clean, scrape and lick clean. At least that is what we do in my house!

Now for the good stuff! How to enter to win a copy of the book.
One entry:
Look through the preview of the book here and tell me what you would want to try first.
One entry:
Subscribe to my e-mail so you don't miss anything. Leave a comment saying you did so.
One entry:
Like me on Facebook and leave a comment saying that you did.
One entry:
Share the giveaway on Facebook or Twitter and leave a comment saying you did.

The contest will run through August 3rd and I will use a random number generator to pick the winner. Go!

18 comments:

  1. the blueberry and strawberry vanilla...oh heck! all of them! looks amazing...loved the help on how to set your jam...i'm just getting started and had that problem...didn't know to let it reach 220! thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cantaloupe jam for sure !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked you on FB, suscribed to your emails (can't wait!), and sharing this on FB :) Keeping my fingers crossed!! I loooooove canning! Just learned how to last month and I'm already hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cantaloupe Jam. Liked you on facebook and shared the post. Subscribed to your email updates. I am so hoping to win the cook book. I checked it out on Amazon and really would like to try many of the recipes. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would want to try the Strawberry Vanilla Jam (Strawberry is my husband's favorite) or the pear butter sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also liked you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would try Pear Ginger jam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool looking book! I just started canning this summer, thanks to a bumper crop of organic blackberries. I could certainly use a book like this for inspiration and pointers.

    I think I would go crazytown on the nectarine-lime jam; it sounds AMAZING! I'm signing up for your email and FB pronto! Thanks for the opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to try Cantaloupe Jam! I have signed up for email and already liked you on facebook!! I would love to add this to my collection of canning recipe book !! keeping my fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy's tomato jam sounds divine! Thanks for the giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I subscribed to your feed via email

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO happy to have befriended you & so want to try Cantaloupe & vanilla jam. SO I have looked through the book, friended you on FB & Req your email & I am so Very excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also Shared the giveaway on facebook & twitter. :D

      Delete
  13. Def the cantaloupe is my fave with the vanilla as second.

    ReplyDelete