Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Misc. Monday - Canning Cherries

I'm back!! I finally got Blogger back working again. (Yes I know it is Tuesday but we are going to pretend it is still Monday.) I will get all the promised yummies to you on schedule providing no more tech issues. Now, on to the good stuff.
My mom is the youngest of 7 kids and when her mom passed on one of the things I asked for was my grandma's canning stuff. I was looking through the book the other night and came across a really simple recipe to can cherries. My kids love cherries so when they were on sale this past week I knew what I had to do. I decided to can the cherries in a simple simple syrup instead of making pie filling because I will use them more than pie filling. It really doesn't taste that long to make and we even canned them in our camper last night.

Simple Syrup (Medium)
2 cups sugar
1 quart water

Heat the mixture till the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot. Do not let this boil or reduce down.

Canning Cherries
I cold or raw packed my cherries which means that I did not cook them before they went into the jars.
There really isn't a recipe for canning cherries but more of a method of how to can them.
I pitted my cherries before I put them in jars so I don't have to worry about the pits when I use them.

Once your cherries are pitted pack them into clean hot jars and wipe the rim clean. Top with a new hot canning lid and hand tighten the ring. Process 20 minutes in a boiling water bath. They look so pretty when they are all finished and I know we will enjoy them this winter when we can't get fresh cherries.

What is your favorite food to can?

No comments:

Post a Comment