Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wonderful Wednesday: I've been busy

I had something really great and yummy planed for today but it will have to wait another week or two. Today we made strawberry pie filling and canned it. How much you ask? Tons it seemed like. We started with 15 quarts from a wonderful farmer who lives about a mile from where I do. He has a produce stand that is open a few hours a day or until they run out of what is in season. Last week the sign went out for strawberries and I hurried over to buy some. It is easy to forget what real fresh strawberries taste like and we set about making a no cook freezer jam out of the four quarts I bought. Then I got to thinking that they would make for really good pie filling. Since we do not eat anything with food coloring in it I can't easily go to the store and buy strawberry pie filling. (Or any pie filling in all honesty.) I decided if I was going to do it I was going to make a bunch while I was at it and some for a friend because we barter back and forth. (I think she is going to go pick cherries and blueberries for me!) Our finished total was 6 quarts and 14 pints of pie filling and another 7 pints and 1 quart of extra pie filling sauce with no strawberries in it. The finished product is to die for! I made the mistake of trying some in the middle of what we were doing and I almost decided to quit and keep eating it! If I could go back to regular pie filling after trying what I made I wouldn't go back anyways. I used Canning Granny's recipe which you can find here. The only differences is that I didn't use true Jello but a brand that I buy that has no food coloring in it and I used two extra boxes in the 6 batches I did. I don't even have pictures of the finished cans because we left to go back to the camper while they were all wrapped up cooling. I love to hear the sound of the ping when they seal! Do you can and if you do what has been your favorite?


Caden kept trying to eat as many as he could

No comments:

Post a Comment